04 January 2014

8 mile run

i ran 8 miles this morning. it wasn't easy, but i did it.

with the cold 20mph wind in my face, i sure wanted to go home, but then i remembered a toddler who had the willpower to stop sucking her thumb cold-turkey, just because the dentist said it was bad for her teeth, and i found the will to face the wind.

my brain started devising ways to cut corners now and make it up later in training, but then i remembered a preteen who took the leap to go to a new school because she was focused on a plan for her life, and i found the strength to stick to my plan.

there were long stretches with no joy, but then i remembered a high-school senior who stuck with piano lessons after the joy was gone because she had committed to completing what she started, and i recommitted to finishing what i started.

people drove by me in their warm cars, and i thought why can't i be like other people and have a normal hobby, but then i remembered a college graduate who was determined to be independent no matter what people thought, and i relaxed about my choices.

i got very tired and wanted to quit, but i remembered a young woman who reached into someplace inside herself and found sheer determination to finish the monkey marathon an hour faster than she ever had, and i renewed my determination to keep going.



you amaze and impress me.

you are my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment