02 April 2021

the nasacort diaries: day one

i take zyrtec-d a lot, ergo i take a lot of zyrtec-d. it makes the difference between my head feeling like a head, and it feeling like a water balloon. the amount of liquid that my sinuses can create is impressive. they are the hagfish of sinuses. 

why? who knows. on my medical record it says "vasomotor rhinitis" which is as opposed to "allergic rhinitis". vasomotor refers to vascular operations and rhinitis refers to the ol' schnoz so vasomotor  rhinitis has to do with the blood vessels in the nose.

the term vasomotor rhinitis is a bit outdated. more common nowadays is "nonalleric rhinitis". there are various types (see https://www.aafp.org/afp/2018/0801/p171.html) and "Nonallergic rhinitis cannot be cured..." (https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-dictionary/nonallergic-rhinitis-vasomotor).

hence the zyrtec-d. 

thing about my precious zyrtec-d tho... whatever it does to dry out my head, it just goes on and does to my mouth, eyes, and skin. desiccation FTW! 

self mummification is a fun hobby, but i find myself looking for a change. so i asked my doc (whose enthusiasm for my health is rivalled only by my own) for suggestions. she suggested nasacort. topical application versus swallowing something and hoping it can find my nose - plus it's a steroid, an inflammation reducer, rather than a drying agent. 

so i got me three for $34 at sam's. PRICEY. this is not a cazh experiment. probably should have gone with one from publix for starters. anywhey, i used some when i took my evening dose of dulera.

well. it was not magic. if anything, it made things worse. i have by now also taken a zyrtec-d. hmph. tomorrow i will try one spray per noseside rather than two, see if that's better. the doc did say to give it a month, don't make a snap judgment. 

so i won't. 

but i want to.

but i'll resist. 




No comments:

Post a Comment